Thursday 29 October 2009

Shell stitch baby hat

I was using up some left over wool recently and came up with this...


It's very simple and easy to make. Here's the pattern in case anyone out there wants it:

Yarn weight: Aran
Crochet hook: 5.5mm
Size: 3-6 months

UK crochet abbreviations used.

The hat is made in rounds without seams, at the end of each round sl st into first st to join the round.


You can use and change colours as you like. I used gold Debbie Bliss Merino Aran for rounds 1-5, 8, 11 and 12, light purple Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran for rounds 6, 9 and 13 and dark purple Rowan Pure Wool Aran for rounds 7 and 10.



Round 1: 12 tr into magic ring, pull ring tight (12 sts)
Round 2: ch 2, 2 tr into each st in the ring (24 sts)
Round 3: ch 2, tr round adding 12 sts evenly (36 sts)
Round 4: ch 2, tr round adding 12 sts evenly (48 sts)
Round 5: ch2, tr round adding 12 sts evenly (60 sts)
Rounds 6-11: ch 2 (counts as the first tr), 2 tr into next st, skip 2 sts, *3 tr into next st, skip 2 sts, repeat from * around to make shell sts
Rounds 12-13: ch 1, dc into each st

Finish off and weave in ends.

This one's been sent to Carys Leila Walton born on Oct 25th 2009. Congratulations Mike, Amanda and Jacob! Welcome to the world, Carys!


12 comments:

Kate said...

Hi,
I just started crocheting this hat with your instructions and it is very big. When you say Tr, do you mean triple crochet? I used a comparable yarn size and the same size hook. Any suggestions?

Mrs Anna Ayling said...

Yeah, I do mean triple crochet (UK). Try a smaller hook size. My Mum crocheted a few hexagons for a blanket I was making a while ago and in order for her hexagons to be the same size as mine she had to use a 3.5mm hook where I was using a 5mm hook. I should have done a gauge - it would have been a lot easier for you. Sorry. Hope you enjoy crocheting it anyway.

Debbie said...

Would you happen to know what to do in order to increase the size to 12 mos? Thanks!

Mrs Anna Ayling said...

The first 5 rounds are increase rows...if you added another increase row (just follow the same kind of pattern - adding 12 stitches in the 6th round), it would certainly increase the size considerably. But your tension, size of wool, size of hook will all be contributing factors to how big it actually ends up in the end.

p said...

what is a magic ring?

Mrs Anna Ayling said...

I just found this youtube video which shows you how to do a magic ring...hope it helps

Mrs Anna Ayling said...

Sorry, forgot to actually paste the link in! Here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

p said...

THANKS! I have been crocheting for about 40yrs and never encountered this. LOL. I also hold my yarn much differently then most. But I got it finally. Will try this darling hat tomorrow :)
Thank you

Mrs Anna Ayling said...

It's a handy little thing to know about (a magic ring, that is). I hope you enjoy the pattern. Some people have found their gauge is quite different to mine and I didn't do a gauge square (error on my part), so I hope it worked out ok for you.

Rowan said...

Something that confused me when I started learning to crochet was the difference between US and UK terminology. US has: singles, doubles and trebles which are equivalent to UK: doubles, trebles and double-trebles.
This may be why Kate found the hat getting too big.
I can't wait to have a go at this. So cute. Thanks for the pattern.

Unknown said...

can you post a picture if you have made one of these hats of what it looks like completed on the side where you join each round. Mine looks really messy from changing out the colors...

Unknown said...

hi!i want to crochet this hat for my 9 months old baby!plz help me about the size.